1. What age did you start dancing ?
I started dancing when I was 3 years old, but truly fell in love with ballet when I was 4 years old.
2. How many hours a week do you dance?
Currently, I dance about 20 hours a week. This includes ballet class, contemporary, character, jazz, modern, pas de deux, pointe class and private coaching
3. What is the last song you downloaded
Lover - Taylor Swift
4. What are the top three apps you use everyday on your phone .
Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest.
5. What did you have for breakfast
Egg white on toast.
6. What is your all time favourite ballet that you have either seen or preformed in?
I have so many favorite ballets! I love watching Swan Lake. It is incredible to see how dancers can tell a story in the details of their arms!
7. Do you prefer classical or contemporary ballet?
I prefer classical ballet. Classical ballet has so many little details, I love working and spending time perfecting every movement. Classical ballet includeds pointe work, which is my absolute favorite!
8. How long do your pointe shoes last?
My pointe shoes usually last about 2-4 weeks
9. At what age did you start pointe?
I started pointe at the age of 9.
10 . Do you have a favourite dance movie?
Not at the moment, but I am looking forward to watching the new High Strung movie with Juliet Doherty.
11. How are your feet today , are they blistered? Any tips on looking after your feet?
My feet are great! No blisters!
12. Do you prefer to dance with other people or solo?
I prefer to dance solo. Having the stage to yourself is an indescribable feeling!
13. How long is your warming up and down routine?
Thirty minutes to 1 hour for warm up and 10-15 min for down routine.
14. What three traits do you think people need to become a ballerina?
Three traits people need to become a ballerina is; persistence (when times are hard), mental strength (when others push you down), and a passion for the arts (because if you are unhappy dancing, everyone can tell).
15. Who are you inspired by?
My mom and dad inspire me. They have never given up on me and have continuously been an example of how to work hard. They are perfect image of whom I want to be when I grow up. My mom and dad drive endless hours, fly endless miles and sacrifice so much of their time for me. Every day they inspire me to work hard and follow my dreams. Thank you, mommy and daddy, for everything.
16. Favourite ballerina past or present?
There are too many favorite ballerinas to list. A few of my favorites are Lauren Cuthbertson, Stella Abrera, Silvi Guillem, Beckanne Sisk, and Diana Vishneva.
17. Other than ballet what other activities do you do for fitness and strength
I like to cross-train by doing yoga and pilates. It is crucial for injury prevention and to stay fit. One of the most important things about cross-training is forming the correct muscles and working on you week points outside of class. Putting in the extra hour or two will benefit you in the long run even if you don’t feel like it does at the moment.
18. What is your favourite book
My favorite book is Wonder by R. J. Palacio.
19. What are your other hobbies?
Going to the beach, doing yoga, listening to music, and reading.
20. What is your favourite TV show?
21. Favourite all time movie ?
22. Favourite singer / band?
23. What is the best advise anyone has given you before a performance?
The best advice given to me before a performance is to have fun and relax. The worst thing that you can do to yourself before performing is to stress and overthink every little thing. On the day of the show relax and your body will know what to do.
24. What is your most memorable dance experience
My most memorable dance experience was having the opportunity to perform at Gala de Danza in Los Cabos, Mexico. The extraordinary Christina Lyon gave me the opportunity of a lifetime and I will forever treasure that experience. I got to meet/dance alongside incredible dancers and perform on a stage that overlooked the ocean. It was truly a dream come true. Another memorable experience was dancing at the Opera de Monte-Carlo
25. Do you have a favourite inspirational quote
“Dream Big, Work hard”
26. If you could meet anyone in the world , who would it be and why?
Sadie Robertson because she is inspiring.
27. Why do you love dance so much?
I love to dance because it brings joy. Dance starts in your heart then projects onto others. Every time before I go on stage I pray that God would allow me to bring others joy and be a vessel of his love to everyone.
28. Any dance injuries or embarrassing dance moments to share?
One time in pas de deux class I fell flat on my face while demonstrating the combination with my partner. Everyone laughed at me!
29. Where In the world would you love to dance ?
Anywhere! I have the opportunity to dance!
30. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 – 10 Years.
In the next 5-10 years, I see myself in a company dancing or in college working towards getting my masters in business administration and dancing on the side. I feel that it is important to have options and back up plans just in case your first one doesn’t work out.
With over 100K followers on Instagram make sure you follow Ashley @ashleylewofficial
Photo Credit , the talented @beckylewphoto